Pumpkin Soup with Crispy Bacon recipe
- 1 pumpkin, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium sized onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 pints chicken stock
- 2oz butter
- 1 pint milk
- 2 teaspoonfuls fresh thyme leaves (or 1 teaspoonful dried thyme)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
On serving: 2 rashers smoked, rindless bacon, chopped, fresh parsley
Melt the butter in a large pan, fry the chopped onions for about 5 minutes (until softened), add the chopped pumpkin, cover and cook for about 5 more minutes.
Stir in the thyme, salt, pepper and milk, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender.
Puree the mixture until very smooth in a blender or food processor. Fry or grill the bacon until it becomes crispy and cut it into small pieces.
Add the stock to the pureed mixture and reheat until boiling.
Serve with the bacon and parsley scattered over the top.
This recipe originally appeared in the National Vegetable Society Bulletin