Almond Ring Recipe
- 8 oz plain white flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ oz caster sugar
- 1½ oz butter or margarine
- ½ oz yeast
- 1 egg
- ¼ pint of milk
- 1 oz blanched almonds
- 2 oz glace cherries
- For the glace icing – Icing sugar and warm water
- Sieve the flour and salt into a warm bowl, rub in the fat, and leave in a warm placed.
- Cream the yeast with 1 teaspoon caster sugar. Beat the egg and make it up to ¼ pint with the warm milk. Add this to the creamed yeast.
- Add the liquid to the flour and mix to a soft dough, adding more warmed milk if necessary. Knead with your hands to mix well.
- Cover with a clean cloth and leave in a warm placed to rise, until the dough has doubled in bulk.
- Turn onto a floured board and knead well until the dough is smooth. Work in the washed, dried, quartered and lightly flloured cherries and the remainder of the caster suger.
- Divide the dough into 6 pieces, knead each piece again and form into ball.
- Line the edge of a warmed, greased and lightly floured 9" sandwich tin with the balls of dough. Leave a space in the centre of the tin.
- Cover with a clean cloth and leave in a warm place to prove for about 20 minutes.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 400°F/200°C/Gas Mark 6 for about 30 minutes.
- Mix icing sugar with tepid water to make the glace icing and spread over the top when the ring has cooled. Sprinkle with the sliced almonds.