Gooseberry and Ginger Chutney Recipe
Submitted by Jenny
A dark, spicy chutney that is perfect with cheese. It can be used after about a month but keeps for months. This recipe can be scaled up to any quantity to fit your preserving pan. You will want to make lots, it's so good.
- 1 lb gooseberries
- 8 oz onions
- 1 pint wine vinegar
- 1 lb soft brown sugar
- 1½ oz salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Gently cook the gooseberries in a little water until they have softened.
- Add chopped onions and vinegar, cooking for 10 minutes or so.
- Then add all other ingredients, boiling gently until some of the liquid has evaporated and the mixture has a slightly thick consistency.
- Cool slightly and pot into clean jars with screw top lids.